Shehnaz M. Bhujwala
Shehnaz M. Bhujwala, a strong advocate of consumer rights in civil courts and the California Legislature, is a partner of Boucher LLP.
Shehnaz helps people harmed by the bad practices of corporations, employers, and governmental entities, obtain justice through the courts. She prosecutes class actions, mass torts, and other complex civil cases in federal and California state courts.
Shehnaz, who is bestowed with a Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” rating for her professionalism and ethics, has helped bring about resolution to numerous cases through settlement and trials over the course of her legal career, including:
- A historic settlement on behalf of hundreds of survivors of childhood sexual abuse against the Los Angeles and San Diego Catholic Archdioceses
- A favorable settlement on behalf of survivors of infamous 1976 mass kidnapping against kidnappers
- A class action settlement against telephone company for privacy violations on behalf of wiretap victims
- A class action settlement against auto manufacturer on behalf of nationwide class of owners of vehicles with defective engine part
- Numerous class action settlements against major movie studios on behalf of nationwide classes of profit participants who challenged how the studios paid them distributions for home video revenue
- Numerous class action and representative action settlements on behalf of workers for wage theft and other unlawful employment practices
Prior to joining Boucher LLP, Shehnaz worked for top plaintiffs’ firms in the Los Angeles area, including Khorrami Boucher, LLP, Kiesel Boucher & Larson, LLP, and Greene, Broillet, Panish & Wheeler, LLP.
An active author and speaker on consumer law subjects, Shehnaz is a member of, and has held leadership positions in, numerous professional organizations, including:
- Consumer Attorneys of California: Board of Governors (2011-Present) Chair, Woman’s Caucus (2015); and Executive Committee (2016)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles: Board of Governors (2013-2014); Member (2020-Present)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: Litigation Section, Legislative Chair (2014-2016); Judicial Appointments Committee (2014-2017); Complex Courts Committee, Co-Chair (2016-2018); Programs (2018-2019); Federal Courts Committee (2019-2020); Adequate State Court Funding Committee (2020-Present); Litigation Section Officer (2020-Present)
- American Association for Justice: Member
- Public Justice: Member
Through her work with the Consumer Attorneys of California, Shehnaz also regularly speaks with California legislators regarding the need for sufficient court funding and other issues affecting the courts, consumers, and workers.
A California native and current resident of Los Angeles, Shehnaz received her undergraduate education at the University of California, Los Angeles where she obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology in 1997. Thereafter, she attended the University of Southern California’s Gould School of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor degree in 2002. During law school, she externed for the Honorable U.S. District Court Judge Robert M. Takasugi of the Central District of California and counseled victims of domestic violence through the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Barrister’s Project.